Any adult ( age 21 years and older) who works or volunteers to help with children and or vulnerable adults is required by the Diocese of Birmingham to obtain youth protection certification. Certification must be completed before working with children or vulnerable adults.
Guidelines for certification are below:
1. Complete "Recognizing Child Abuse" offered at birmingham.proudtoprotect.com
2. Provide to church or school office:
- Copy of Training completion certificate (provided at the end of the online training)
- Signed Diocesan Code of Conduct Receipt form (available here)
- Signed Volunteer Inquiry Release form (criminal background check form) or complete the background check on line here: Diocese of Birmingham Background Check
After all three required documents are received and processed, you will be certified for 3 years.
The Office of Youth Ministry in Diocese of Birmingham oversees the youth protection program. They will hold regional live workshops for Youth Protection 1 certification. You must register in advance of the workshop you wish to attend. Bring your printed ticket or save it to your smart phone. On-time arrival and full workshop attendance is necessary for credit. The workshop is for adults only and childcare is not provided. Check the Office of Youth Ministry website for the current schedule: